Sunday, December 12, 2010

So When Does This Whole Senioritis Thing Set In?

 
            I thought that I would feel the effects of senioritis immediately after learning of my acceptance to college. But my actions and decisions tonight show that the disease has yet to reveal itself in me. The weekend before the last week before winter break almost always requires extensive studying time. This weekend turned out no different for me. With a bio test, usual English work, calculus homework and a computer science test coming up I felt swamped yet not worried at the beginning of the weekend. On Saturday, I distinctly remember thinking to myself, “I can take it easy this weekend, school really doesn’t matter any more.” But currently as I type this blog at 9:07 on Sunday night with a large snowstorm ready to cancel school tomorrow, I find myself prepared to stay up late studying. After my indoor soccer game earlier tonight, everyone on the team went out to dinner, except me. I thought it would do me better if I stayed home and worked on homework even with a snowday looming on the horizon. But seriously, shouldn’t I be out enjoying dinner with my friends instead of studying for grades that do not really matter a day before a probable snowday?
            I think that after a year and half of AP English, I feel very accustomed to working hard and striving to do my best in school. AP English has taught me that not trying to reach my full potential leaves me feeling empty and upset with myself. I know that I would love to go to sleep right after I finish this blog but something inside me pushes me to want to stay up another hour and a half to study for my tough bio test tomorrow. In most of my classes, but especially in AP English, I feel good if I do well on something I studied really hard for and I feel like an idiot if I do poorly on something I could have studied more for. So I guess I just answered my question to why I chose to study by myself on the eve of a probable snowday while my buddies have a fun dinner out. The answer lies in the fact that I will hopefully feel good about myself in the future as a result of my hard work now. At least for now, I have not felt the slightest bit of senioritis.

No comments:

Post a Comment