Monday, May 2, 2011

Characters Responses to One of the Essay Topics


Algernon: “It is much pleasanter being here with you” (Wilde 24)
Rodney: “I’m sorry I really am. It’s just I’m so worried” (Currie 136)
Algernon: “It might make you very unwell” (Wilde 42)
McMurphy: “‘Hooeee, look at what we got here’” (Kesey 23)
Rodney: “I’m not smart enough to figure it out” (Currie 130)
Algernon: “So I know my constitution can stand it” (Wilde 42)
McMurphy: “‘I just’d kind of like to know which of these birds has any guts and which doesn’t’”(Kesey 139)
Rodney: “I have a hard time understanding big words” (Currie 131)
McMurphy: “‘I’d be scared’” (302)
Algernon: “The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility” (Wilde 6)
Rodney: “I don’t know what [it] means” (Currie 131)
Algernon: “you are smart!” (Wilde 8)
Rodney: “I don’t like you saying things like that” (Currie 129)
Algernon: “It is perfectly phrased!” (Wilde 16)
Rodney: “No I don’t believe what [you’re] saying” (Currie 130)

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy, I really liked the different takes on the essay topic presented by your conversation. I can just imagine the three voice arguing in my head over the essay topic. McMurphy would be acting tough like he could handle the topic, while secretly feeling scared about it. Rodney would just immediately admit defeat and ask for help on it. Meanwhile, Algernon's pompous voice would comment on how utterly perplexing yet necessarily complex the question is. This internal battle in my head during the exam would create quite the outcome of an essay.

    ReplyDelete